Traditionally in January in my Level 3 class, we do a year in review, and goal-setting for the year ahead. As I said in my recent newsletter, I am not a big fan of “resolutions”, but am a big fan of refining my intention for the year ahead, and that usually comes from reviewing who I was in the past year in order to get an idea of the Me I want to see when I am looking back reviewing this year. My surveys tend to be 4-6 questions, and involve sitting with fellow dancers having a frank discussion.
In the spirit of this practice, this review/survey has been popping up on a few blogs in my blogroll, and I wanted to share it with you. I would love to hear your answers in the comments. Even if you don’t choose to go through this publicly, I recommend doing it on your own and tucking it into your dance journal for future reference. It’s always so great to get to look them over years from now and see what the Past You had to say about the dance (sometimes she is pretty freaking profound!) In any case, I hope it gives you some food for thought!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you had never done before?
2. Did you keep your belly dance new year resolution, and will you have one this year?
3. Did you introduce anyone to belly dance?
4. What travels did you take, and did you involve belly dance with them?
5. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
6. Which date from 2011 will remain etched in your memory and why?
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
8. What was your biggest failure?
9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
10. What was the best thing you bought or made for dance?
11. What did you get really excited about?
12. What did you wish you’d done more of?
13. What do you wish you’d done less of?
14. What seemed to get in the way of dance?
15. What was your favorite music from this year?
16. What did you do on your birthday?
17. What would have made your year immeasurable more satisfying?
18. How would you describe your belly dance style in 2011?
19. What were the major influences on your belly dance in 2011?
20. Best thing about being a dancer in 2011?