Advice to artists from a personal trainer, taking skills from workout training and applying them to being an artist:
- Find a sanctuary where you can comfortably work.
- Dedicate at least two hours a day to your art.
- Have more than enough equipment and supplies.
- Set short- and long-term goals and keep track of progress.
- Think of your work as exercise, not championship play.
- Explore series development and exhaust personal themes.
- Work alone with the benefit of books and perhaps tapes.
- Replace passive consumption with creative production.
- Use your own intuition and master your technology.
- Feel the joy of personal, self-generated sweat.
- Fall in love with your own working processes.
- Be forever on the lookout for the advent of style.
- Try to be your own person and claim your rights.
- Don’t bother setting yourself up for rejection.
- Don’t swing too wildly and damage the well-being of others.
- Don’t jump into the ring until you’re feeling fit.